Art Gallery

Did All of You Have a Great Labor Day?

Rose

Getting all that summer partying out before the fall drudge of schoolwork and cold? I spent my day going to the local Arts & Crafts fair, which was real fun. It was hard not to buy everything! So many beautiful handmade things, including my new dress. It took a day to make, which was perfect since I started last minute on it.

What I didn't realize is that the fabric is a linen blend...

It has a stretch to it, which makes it really comfortable because sometimes the narrow skirt makes it hard to move around. Strangely enough, the pattern doesn't include a bow piece. Maybe you were suppose to use a scarf from your own collection. It's a great idea, especially if you want to swap out scarfs to match a bag or cardigan, but I like the idea of the bow to match the bias tape. I kinda had to improvise by making my own, which isn't that hard, but that's why it's not exactly like the envelope design.

The seersucker worked great as the bias tape...

I added a 1960s pin from my mother's costume jewelery collection for a nice spark of color. I think the wide collar is the perfect showcase for any costume jewelery you might have. So many unique things! This woman made the coolest little bugs and creatures. We wanted to purchase from her later in the year since we spent our budget on soaps, but we ended up grabbing the wrong card. :(

I also got into a lot of trouble at a clothing stall for taking a picture. He even demanded me to delete it, which I thought was really sketchy. Why wouldn't you want to have your artwork shared? Reselling some chinese wholesale as his own perhaps? I wouldn't doubt it, Etsy is full of them, why not local craft fairs?

Happy Labor Day!

I've never been a fan of it because it usually means it's back-to-school time! No fun! So, I've decided to sneak in a little sewing project to make it fun! After my major de-stuffing, I found 2 yards of linen I purchased for this specific pattern about a year ago. I just never got around to making it, like a lot of my projects. Seeing the simplicity of the pattern, I was pretty determined to finish it for Labor Day and wear the last of my whites before I pulled out my fall wardrobe!

The only concern I had was I didn't have any white zippers left. Sadly, my huge stash of zippers is dwindling. I didn't have the time to take an hour out of my day to get a $3 zipper. However, I did find this 1960s red metal zipper in the stash. It hit me, why don't I take advantage of that visible zipper trend and make the best out of what I have available? Plus, the red would give it a suitable patriotic color scheme for Labor Day.

I've never done a visible zipper before...

Honestly, it was a trend I thought I wouldn't jump on. I've seen some pretty dresses only to have this awful metal zipper dissect it in half. It's always bad construction, such as an utility zipper on super-light fabric. But when I think of visible zippers done well, I think about this Teen Vogue photo with Whitney Port and I just die. I think its the perfect use of the visible zipper trend, just the metal teeth are exposed and the zip has a gorgeous long chain in the back. Besides, that color kills me. BTW, that's some weird photoshopping of Port's legs or what?

This week is my last free week before I start graduate school, so I kinda took a break from everything. From sewing, from the internet, from friends, and even blogging. I worked a few days at work for some much needed cash for transportation and spent the rest of my days in front of the TV. But after a few hours I was itching to do something. I'm in no mood to sew, it's bit too hot to knit wool, and I just didn't feel like blogging. So, I pulled out my pickles for a small afternoon project and broke-in my new apron! I bought about 11-15 lbs of kirby cucumbers from my local farmer's market for about $15 last week and it's about time I used them before they went bad!

However, I lacked a canning pot. I heard that if you go to yard sales or search craigslist, you can easily find an inexpensive canning pot. I didn't. And I was running out of time before my cucumbers went bad, so I bit the bullet, went to my local Agway (where I found the "little guy") and bought the Ball Canning Kit. The Blue Book prepared me by warning that you'll probably spend about $300 just to get started. Of course, those who are more persistent to save money probably wouldn't spend that much. One thing I thought to myself when I checked out with my new Ball kit was I guess I'm going to stick with canning just to justify the price.

VIA «Did All of You Have a Great Labor Day?»