Art Gallery

Just Blue Velvet, Oh Sorry, — Blue Fabric!

Sexy lady

The Queen of an Underwear

Let me just preface this post with: thanks be to the sewing goddess I had a week to find fabric. As you know my colour theme for this dress is blue and gold, and it has been a plethora of blue. Blues too dark, too polyester, too linen, too anything, until I found her. She was sitting there on her little roll, all blue and half-priced, I knew that she was meant for me. 'She' being my new microfibre just-the-right-blue fabric.

Basically, microfibre is a polyester measuring less than one denier. Being synthetic it dries fast and is non-wrinkle *fist pumps the air* which makes it perfect for Italy. And, even though I kind of despise Polyester this is nothing like the scratchy-crap you find in a thrift store. It's soft, and gentle, and literally glides over your skin. I'll have to be cautious when the dress is completed not to, I don't know, sit at the bus stop and just start rubbing it against my skin like some creepy Decore add. I make no promises.

I was thinking about having gold thread to top-stitch, but when I told the saleswoman that I think I made her gag. I agree, because this fabric is such a 'blueish-blue' it would look tacky, a navy however... It's funny some thing can look good in your head, but wrong (criminal even) in real life.

Dita Von Teese

Dita Von Teese

So in rethinking my design... Perhaps gold-inspired trimmings? Such as 'champagne ivory' or 'vanilla' silk. (On a side note, don't you just love the name of colours? Seriously - can I have that job?). Or what about a giant gold brooch à la Dita Von Teese? Although I am inspired by the Renaissance, I don't want this to look like a Renaissance dress. Let me know what you think! Do you have any ideas?

I'm basically saving money

Ok, that's a little self-justification of a purchase there, but look at it? It's so purty. Unlike northern lassies who speak of getting $1 per yard and other dreamy nonsense, I have not yet lucked out with fabric. I do have a particularly favourite store that's just near my house; they have genuine service, lovely old ladies, and price tags to match. I was there today picking up some twill tape for my crescent skirt when I just happened to wander into the fabric section (goodness! how did that happen?) and found this dreamy pure wool remnant of intense red. It's so soft, and not scratchy!

Considering it was less than half its original price I think I would have been wasting money not buying it. It's only 90cm x 150cm (1yd x 1.6yd) so a smaller project; a small skirt? little blouse? What do you think?

VIA «Just Blue Velvet, Oh Sorry, — Blue Fabric!»